Income Tax Challan for Depositing Tax Online
|ITNS 280||For depositing Income Tax, Wealth Tax, Corporation Tax|
|ITNS 281||For depositing TDS and TCS|
|ITNS 282||For payment of Gift Tax, Estate Duty, Expenditure Tax, other miscellaneous taxes|
|ITNS 286||Payment under Income Tax Declaration Scheme, 2016|
|ITNS 287||Payment under PMGKY (Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojna) Scheme, 2016|
|ITNS 26QB||For payment of TDS on sale of property|
Income tax department has specified above six challans or forms to be filled and submitted by Income Tax payers while depositing income tax online.
Challan 280: For payment of income tax, corporation tax and wealth tax
Challan 280 is used to pay advance tax, self assessment tax and regular assessment tax. You have the option of paying income tax through Challan 280 online through internet. Earlier you could pay tax offline at designated branches of the bank but this option has been discontinued by most of the banks. For making online payment of tax, you need to have a net banking account with any of the banks.
Making online payment of income tax through challan 280
You can make online payment of your tax due by filling online version of Challan 280 and making payment through your internet banking facility of your bank. For making online payment, go to the website https://www.tin-nsdl.com and click on the e-pay tab or pay taxes online link. TIN is an initiative of Income Tax department for collecting, processing, monitoring and accounting of direct taxes using information technology.
Steps to pay income tax via challan 280:
- On TIN NSDL webpage, click on e-pay tab or pay taxes online click and select Challan 280. Once the screen with the form opens, enter the following details:
- PAN number
- Your address
- Assessment year for which the tax is to be paid
- Minor Head code
- Applicable Tax (income tax in case of salaried employees)
- Type of payment: You have to select 100 in case of advance tax, 300 for self assessment tax and 400 for tax on regular assessment for making any payment only when the demand has been raised by income tax department.
- Select the name of the bank from the drop down list of banks
- After filling all the required details, click on Proceed button. TIN system will display all the details entered by you along with your name appearing in the database of income tax department for the PAN entered by you. Note: PAN is mandatory for the payment of income tax. Payment of tax will not proceed without a valid PAN number.
- You will get an option to verify the details you have entered. If you find any correction, click on Edit button to correct the information. If all details filled are correct, then click Submit. TIN system will direct you to its net-banking site.
- Login to your net banking account with user ID and password and enter the payment details. You need to break up your salary into various components such as income tax and education cess etc.
- Your bank will process the transaction online by debiting your account and on successful payment; the system will generate a printable acknowledgement reflecting CIN (Challan Identification Number). Challan acknowledgement will contain CIN number, payment details and the name of the bank through which the payment has been made. Challan acknowledgement is the proof of payment being made. You can verify the challan status online in Challan Status Enquiry section at NSDL- TIN website using your CIN after a week of making payment.
Precautions while filling income tax challan 280
- Quote correct PAN number and name and address on Challan used for depositing tax.
- Use separate Challan for each payment and fill correct code number corresponding to the respective payment type.
- Do not make mistake in indicating FY (Financial Year) and AY (Assessment Year) while filling the respective Challan.
- Do not use same challan for making payments of different type of taxes such as advance tax, self assessment tax etc.
Challan 281: For depositing TDS deducted from corporate and non- corporate
Income tax department allows online payment of TDS by filling Challan 281. Challan 281 is used for making the payment of tax deducted at source (TDS) under any head of income or tax collected at source (TCS) by, both corporate and non corporate deductors. Challan 281 is used for making payment of TDS and TCS (Tax Collected at Source). Types of payment covered under challan 281 are:
- TDS/TCS payable by taxpayer
- TDS/TCS against regular assessment demand
Steps to fill Challan 281
- Go to the online TDS payment link on TIN NSDL webpage.
- Select Challan 281 for TDS/TCS payment.
- Select the deductee code. Deductor is required to select code 0020 in case of TDS of a company deductee and 0021 in case of a non company deductee. The following details are required to be filled:
- TAN number and Assessment Year.
- Personal details such as address, mobile number and email ID.
- Code of payment: Type of payment is required to be made along correct code. The codes provided in Challan 281 are 200 and 400. Code 200 is for TDS/TCS payable and code 400 for TDS/TCS payable on regular assessment.
- Type of TDS: Deductor needs to select the section of payment under which TDS is being paid. TDS can be paid in context of salary, rent, payment made to subcontractor etc. Challan 281 contains a list of sections such as:
- Section 94C: For TDS deducted on the payment made to subcontractor
- Section 92B: For TDS deducted on the payment made as salary
- Section 94I: For TDS deducted on the payment made as rent
- Section 94J: For TDS deducted on the payment made to professionals
- Deductor needs to select the bank through which he intends to pay the tax. He should have net banking facility and a valid account to perform the transaction.
- After filling the above details, deductor is required to make the payment by logging into his net banking account by filling valid user name and password.
- After successful payment, system will generate a receipt. Deductor is required to keep the receipt as a proof of making payment.
- Deductor can check the status of the challan online, one week after making the payment. Deductor can check the status by using CIN number or TAN number.
Precautions while filling Challan 281 online
- Quote correct 10 digit TAN number and name and address of the deductor on each challan used for depositing tax.
- Use different challan for depositing the deducted tax under different section. For example- use Challan 94C for TDS on payment to contractors and sub contractors and use Challan 94I for TDS on payment of rent.
- Select the correct code number as specified for each payment type.
- Do not make a mistake in indicating AY (Assessment Year) and FY (Financial Year) while filling challan.
- Every business division is required to file Challan with one TAN number only. In case deductor has different TAN number for separate business branch, he is advised to file tax under one TAN number and surrender the remaining TAN numbers.
Challan 287: For payment of income tax under Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojna Scheme or PMGKY, 2016
Challan 287 is used to pay tax by taxpayers planning to disclose income under Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojna (PMGKY) Scheme, 2016. PMGKY Scheme is valid from 17th December, 2016 to 31st March, 2017.
Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojna Scheme or PMGKY, 2016
Under the taxation and investment regime of PMGKY, 2016, you can declare any of your disclosed income (either in the form of cash or deposit) to pay tax, cess and penalty. The payment on such declared income is to be paid in government’s account under Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojna Scheme, 2016 by using Challan 287.
How to pay tax under PMGKY, 2016
You can pay tax on your disclosed income under Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojna, 2016 by following the below steps:
- Declare income such as deposits and cash: You are required to disclose your unaccounted deposits and cash under PMGKY, 2016 of government.
- Pay taxes and make the deposit: You are required to pay tax at 50% rate on declared income as prescribed by Income Tax Department. After that, you are required to pay 25% of the total declared amount in Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojna, 2016. The amount so paid will be blocked by the government for four years which will be paid to you without any interest.
- Payment of income tax using Challan 287 and payment proof: After performing above steps, you are required to pay tax by using challan 287 and get counterfoil in respect of the payment made. The counterfoil is used as a proof of payment made by you.
How to pay income tax using Challan 287 online
You can pay income tax online under Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojna Scheme, 2016 or PMGKY, 2016 by using Challan 287. To pay income tax through challan 287, you are required to follow following steps:
- Visit TIN NSDL website and select Challan 287
Fill in your details in PMGKY Challan 287 such as:
- Assessment year: which would be 2017- 18 as PMGKY is valid through 17th December, 2016 to 31st march, 2017.
- Type of tax: tax type should be 0028
- Type of payment: you are required to fill 112 for payment under PMGKY
- Once you filled the details correctly, select payment option. The system will redirect you to your net banking website.
- You are required to log in to your registered account with valid username and password. Enter the payment details. Your bank will process the transaction and auto debit your account by the amount of tax.
- After the successful payment, system will generate a printable acknowledgement indicating Challan Identification Number (CIN). The acknowledgement will include details such as CIN, payment details and bank details through which the payment has been made.
- You can also verify the status of your challan 287 in the section of Challan Status Inquiry at NSDL- TIN website using CIN after one week of making the payment.
- You can also verify your Challan 287 using your CIN number through your Form 26AS.
How to pay income tax using Challan 287 offline
You can also pay income tax under PMGKY, 2016 using Challan 287 offline by visiting the designated bank branch. You can make payment through cheque or Demand Draft. After the payment, a counterfoil containing CIN number and payment details will be issued by the bank. You can verify your challan on TIN NSDL website after a week of making payment.
Precautions while filling Challan 287 online
- PAN number is mandatory for filing tax using Challan 287. In case you do not have PAN number, apply for PAN number and quote date of application and acknowledgement number.
- Kindly ensure that the bank counterfoil includes following details:
- 7 digit BSR code of the bank branch through which the payment has been made
- Date of deposit of Challan
- Challan serial number
- CIN number
Challan 286: For payment of Undisclosed income under Income Tax Declaration Scheme, 2016
Finance Act, 2016 consist the provision to pay the taxes on the undisclosed income earned during previous year under Income Tax Declaration Scheme, 2016 of government. Payment of income tax on such income to the government can be made using challan 286. Income tax on such undisclosed income is paid at 45% rate as prescribed by Income Tax Department. The scheme is effective from 1st June, 2016.
Challan 26QB: For TDS on sale of property
As per provision laid out in section 194-IA, when a buyer buys an immovable property such as building or a part of building other than agricultural land, costing more than Rs. 50 lakhs is required to deduct TDS on such property at 1% at the time of making payment to the seller. The form can be used by corporate and non- corporate deductor.
Check details to be filled in Challan 26QB
- Category of PAN of deductor and deductee such as corporate or non- corporate
- Full name of deductor and deductee
- Address of deductor and deductee
- Selection of number of more than one deductor or deductee
- Details of property transferred along with complete address of such property
- Date of agreement or booking, sale consideration and type of payment (lump sum or installment)
- Amount paid or credited
- Amount of TDS and other details such as rate of TDS, interest, fees etc.
- Mode of payment (net banking or e- payment by visiting bank branch
- Date of payment/ credit and date of tax deduction
Precautions while filing Challan 26QB
Buyer is required to deduct TDS at 1% of total sale consideration. Only buyer will deduct TDS not the seller.
No TDS will be deducted if sale consideration is less than Rs. 50 lakhs. In case installments are being paid, TDS will be deducted on each installment.
Tax is to be paid on entire sales amount.
Buyer is not required to obtain TAN (Tax Deduction Account Number) number.
Seller is required to provide his PAN number, otherwise the TDS will be deducted at 20%. Buyer also needs to provide his PAN number.
TDS is deducted at the time of payment or at the time of giving credit to the seller, whichever is earlier.
TDS is to be deposited along with Form 26QB within 7 days from the end of the month in which TDS is deducted.
After payment of TDS to government, buyer needs to issue TDS certificate to the seller.
How to pay TDS through Challan 26QB
- To pay TDS using Challan 26QB, visit website
- After that, click on Challan 26QB and select type of taxpayer:
- Corporate taxpayer: 0020
- Non-corporate taxpayer: 0021
- Fill in details such as Financial Year and Assessment Year, name of deductor and deductee, address of deductor and deductee, details of property and the amount of tax deducted.
- Select the mode of payment. Select e-tax payment immediately for paying online and e- payment on subsequent date for paying offline.
- In case you choose online payment via net banking. Log in to your net banking account by using valid username and password.
- After the successful payment, system will generate printable acknowledgement that consists of details such as TDS payment and banking details.
- In case you choose to pay offline, take out the print out of your acknowledgement slip. The acknowledgement slip will be valid for 10 days after generation. You can pay tax via cheque or Demand Draft by visiting the designated bank branch. After making successful payment bank will provide you a copy of your Challan 26QB.