Income Tax Return Filing FY2016- 17, AY2017- 18
E Filing Income Tax
Filing income tax return is a simple process. You can file your income tax return by just logging into IncomeTaxIndiaeFiling.gov.in. Here are some simple steps to follow:
- You are required to register yourself and create your account by using your PAN number (Permanent Account Number) and password. Your PAN number will be used as your username.
- Download your form 26AS for the year. Form 26AS is a consolidated tax statement which summarizes information about TDS, Advance Tax and self assessment tax paid during the year. You can also download this form from your net banking login on your bank site if your PAN number is updated in the bank account.
- Check that the Form 26AS gives correct credit for the following:
- TDS on salary as per Form 16 issued to you by your employer
- TDS on other income as per Forms 16A issued to you by deductor
- Advance tax and self assessment tax paid by you
- Income tax refund received by you in the previous year
- Choose the financial year for which the return is to be filed.
- Select the applicable ITR form based on nature of income and download the same.
- If a person is filling ITR-1 or ITR-4S, he can complete the process easily by just clicking on the link "quick e-file ITR"
- Pay self assessment tax if applicable
- One can confirm the data by clicking "validate" button
- The next step is to generate an XML file and save it on your desktop
- Upload the XML file
- After uploading your XML file, you are required to sign your income tax return digitally. If you have a valid digital signature, select yes and sign the return digitally using your digital signature. In case you do not have digital signature, you can still sign your return from your net banking account if your PAN number is linked with your bank account.
- If you do not have digital signature, you can choose an option of “physical signing” and download the ITR verification form after submitting your income tax return.
- After signing the verification form manually, send it to CPC Bangalore by speed post only (not by courier) within 120 days of filing the return. Address for sending signed ITR-V is: Central Processing Unit, Income Tax Department - CPC, Post Box - 1, Electronic City Post Office, Bangalore - 560100, Karnataka, India.
Customer care for e-filing, ITR status, income tax refund
- To know the status of your e- filing return, you are advised to contact Please contact CPC call centre at 1800-4250-0025 from 9am to 8pm for any query to know about the status of their e-filing returns
- You can also contact at 1800-425-2229 for matters related to rectification of ITR and income tax refund, contact
- You are required to keep your email ID and mobile number updated in your profile and on your ITR. CPC send email and SMS confirmation to your registered email id and mobile in the following cases:
- Submission of income tax return
- Generation of ITR-V
- Receipt of ITR-V at CPC, Bangalore
- Processing of ITR-V at CPC, Bangalore
- Error in ITR
- Processing of income tax return and issue of assessment order
- Generation of demand
- Determination of refund
- Adjustment of refund amount against previous demand
- Other matters as per Income Tax Act,
Documents required for e-filing of Income Tax Return
As you prepare to calculate your tax liability and file your tax return, first collect and keep the following documents ready for reference. Note that you do not need to attach any supporting documents with your income tax return. The documents are required for the accurate computation of your income and to furnish the correct information in the calculator.
- PAN number
- Last year's ITR
- Bank statements of all your bank accounts including those of minors whose income is to be clubbed with yours
- Form 16 (tax deduction certificate) issued by your employer. In case you changed your job during the year, keep Form 16 issued by all your employers
- Form 16A (TDS certificates) issued for tax deducted on income other than salary such as bank interest, interest on bonds
- Form 26AS - Statement of tax deducted and deposited on your name by your employer, others, advance tax and self assessment tax
- Tax deposit receipts for advance tax and self assessment tax paid by you. Note that in case your net tax liability after TDS is more than Rs. 5,000 in a year, you are required to deposit advance tax every quarter. For more on advance tax, refer to MyLoanCare Advance Tax Guide
- Challan 280 for taxes paid during financial year
- Annual statements of all your mutual fund and share trading accounts
- Home loan tax deduction certificate issued by your bank for principal repaid and interest paid
- Receipts of tax saving investments made such as PPF, NSC, LIC, life insurance, mediclaim, NPS, ELSS
- Details of tax free income received during the year such as interest on tax free bonds, long term capital gains on equity, agricultural income