GST Registration Online Jul 2017
Register for GST Online
With the GST bill approved by the President and the GST council busy finalizing the rules and regulations, all existing businesses registered under central excise, service tax or VAT need to register under GST using an online registration process.
GST Registration for existing Central Excise, Service Tax Assessees
All existing central excise and service tax assessees are being migrated to GST. An existing assessee would be provided a Provisional ID and Password by CBEC online on logging into their existing ACES login for excise or service tax. Provisional IDs are being issued to only those assessees who have a valid income tax PAN associated with their excise or service tax registration.
In some cases, an assessee may not be provided a provisional ID. Possible reasons for this include:
- PAN associated with the registration not being valid
- The PAN being registered with state tax authority and provisional ID having been provided by the said state tax authority (e.g. state VAT department).
- There being multiple central excise or service tax registrations on the same PAN in a state. In such a case only one provisional ID would be issued for the 1st registration
The assessees need to use this Provisional ID and Password to login to the GST Common Portal where they would be required to fill and submit the Form 20 along with necessary supporting documents.
GST Registration Process in India
Following steps are to be followed for migrating to GST:
Step 1: Logon to ACES portal using existing ACES user ID and password
Step 2: Either follow the link to obtain the provisional ID and password or navigate using the Menu
Step 3: Make a note of the provisional ID and password that is provided.
In case of any doubt contact the CBEC Helpdesk at either 1800-1200-232 or email at email@example.com
Once you have obtained the Provisional ID and Password, logon to the GST Common Portal (https://www.gst.gov.in) using this ID and Password. The GST Common Portal has made available a manual on how to fill the Form-20. It is available on www.gst.gov.in
GST Registration Process for New Business
Step 1: First login to the online GST portal (www.gst.gov.in)
Step 2: Fill part –A of registration form 1
Step 3: You will receive an application reference number on your mobile and via e-mail
Step 4: Now, fill the second part of the form and upload the needed documents according to the business type
Step 5: Obtain a certificate of registration from the GST portal. In case of any query you have, you may have to visit the concerned department
Step 7: Submit the required documents within seven working days along with GST REG-04
Step 8: Watch out for error notification by email. In case of any errors, your application may get rejected and you will be notified about the same in form GST REG-05 of GST registration
Documents Required for GST Registration
Here is the list of documents required to register for GST:
- PAN card of the company/ business entity
- Proof of constitution like Articles of association, Memorandum of Association, Certificate of Incorporation, Partnership Deed etc
- Proof of place of business like Electricity bill
- Cancelled cheque of your bank account showing all the details of the account holder
Who is required to register for GST?
Check whether you are eligible or not to register yourself under GST process. The following are liable to register under the GST process:
- Any person or entity person who is supplying, producing or trading in goods or providing services worth for more than Rs. 25 Lakhs in a financial year
- Any person or entity that is required to deduct TDS (tax deducted at source) under GST Act.
- Non-resident taxable person – that is persons registered outside India but liable to pay tax in India due to business operations being based in India