Aadhaar is an initiative of Government of India to provide a unique identity number to all Indians. Aadhaar number is a 12-digit unique number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) by taking a person’s biometric details such as iris scan and fingerprints, and demographic information like date of birth and address. Though the Aadhaar card is still not mandatory, yet the numbers of transactions and facilities that are required to be linked to Aadhaar number have been increasing.
Which accounts are to be linked to Aadhaar?
Government of India has made it mandatory for Indian Residents to link their investment accounts, social security scheme accounts and various public schemes to Aadhaar. Given below is a list of accounts and services that require you to mandatorily link your Aadhaar.
- EPF Account
- Insurance policy
- Ration Card
- Mutual Funds
Latest Update on Aadhaar Card
The Supreme Court on 26th September, 2018 ruled that Aadhaar Card does not violate the right to privacy and is constitutionally valid but with conditions. Here are the key takeaways on the Supreme Court’s verdict on Aadhaar:
- It is mandatory to quote Aadhaar ID or Enrolment ID of Aadhaar application form for filing Income Tax Return and for applying for making an application for allotment of Permanent Account Number (PAN).
- Aadhaar cannot be mandated for the opening of bank accounts and for mobile connections either.
- It is no longer required to link your Aadhaar card to phone numbers and bank accounts.
- Aadhaar Card is not compulsory for school admissions. CBSE, UGC and NEET cannot make Aadhaar mandatory.
- The SC struck down section 57 of the Aadhaar Act, which means that private companies cannot insist on Aadhaar details of customers.
- For the enrolment of children into the Aadhaar system, it would be essential to have the consent of the child’s parents. They can opt out of the system on attaining majority.
- Telecom companies will now accept other documents like passport, driving license and voter ID for a mobile connection.
- The SC also struck down Section 33 (2) of the Aadhaar Act. This means, investigating agencies would now require a judicial warrant to access data of a person under investigation.
How can one link Aadhaar to PAN and other facilities?
|Name of the account/service/facility||Offline||Online|
|Mutual Fund Investments||
Tips to make the process of Aadhaar card link easier
At the face of it, linking a long list of facilities to Aadhaar may feel like a cumbersome and confusing task. Especially so, when as a family, there are multiple bank accounts, mobile numbers and even insurance policies that are to be linked. However, with proper planning and understanding one can make the process of linking easier and manageable.
Five Steps to simplify the process of linking various accounts to Aadhaar are:
Step 1: Create a checklist of all services and accounts in your family that are to be linked to Aadhaar along with the name of providers.
Step 2: Identify and choose the process of linking each of the services, accounts, and facilities to Aadhaar based on available options and your preferred option. For instance, some individuals might find it easier to submit an application at the bank’s counter as compared to submitting an online application for the same or vice versa.
Step 3: Create document sets to be submitted or uploaded: It is advisable to be prepared with attested photocopies of Aadhaar and other accounts document proofs such as insurance policies, PAN Card, etc that have to be submitted along with the Aadhaar number.
Step 4: Initiate the process of linking at the earliest possible, ticking out the services for which you have initiated the process, submitted the documents and registered a request for linking.
Step 5: Follow up for status updates to ensure that the service provider has successfully updated the Aadhaar number in his records. Typically, you will get a notification on successful linking and you can strike out the item from your list once you receive the notification.
Sample Checklist for Aadhaar Card link to a bank account and other facilities
|Bank Accounts||Name of the account holder and Account Number||Preferred Channel of submission||Request for Linking Submitted|
|PAN Card||Name of PAN card holder||Process of submission||Request for linking Submitted|
|PAN No: 1||Online||✕|
|PAN No: 2||Online||✕|
|Mobile Service Provider||Name of SIM owner and Mobile Number||Process of submission||Request for linking Submitted|
|Airtel||Visit nearest store||✓ Completed|
|Idea||Visit nearest store||✓ Completed|
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: